12 June 2008
FACILITIES & SERVICES
GAS HOT WATER APPLIANCES
In response to the Australian Gas Association (AGA) letter of 11 August 1998, I propose to introduce the following policy to further reduce the perceived risk element within buildings:
- NEW BUILDINGS
- All new buildings to have natural gas fired appliances located in approved plant rooms above basement level or in enclosures adjacent to the building.
- All such plant rooms to have adequate and approved ventilation.
- EXISTING BUILDINGS - BELOW GROUND INSTALLATIONS
- In addition to the Australian Standards for installation of 'gas fired appliances' within building basements (below ground), the following will apply:
- A gas solenoid shut off valve is to be fitted into the main gas line serving the boiler/s linked to the fire system;
- Installation of methane-detector to indicate leakage in gas pipework and fittings within plant room, linked through the fire system to bring up an alarm and shut off the gas supply to the appliance.
- Installation of adequate mechanical protection for the gas pipeline between floor level and 1.8 metres.
- The design and installation is to comply with the latest gas code in force at the time in the ACT.
Facilities & Services
Attached: Copy ANU Gas Fired Boiler Locations as at 12 June 2008